Sunday, February 6, 2011

Color!

People, do you all know about the color palette generator at Big Huge Labs? One of the folks in the Wading In class just alerted all of us to it, and oh, my God. So addictive. Takes any photo you upload and spits out a perfectly matched set of color swatches.

This is something I could do with markers, paint chips, watercolors, etc. But probably not to the degree that the program does it--it seems to be giving me a consistent 15 colors per photograph (maybe there's some well-known design/color theory reason for that), and the colors are sometimes extremely subtle gradations of one another. And there's just something about seeing all those swatches gathered together that way. It makes me hungry, you know? If you're a person who's obsessed with color (and I happen to know that some of you out there are), the color palettes are almost better than the pictures themselves. I'm not sure how to adequately describe the thrill to someone who's not that into this kind of thing.

There's a way to download the swatches into an Adobe compatible format so you can use them for other projects. Alas, I don't have Photoshop or Illustrator or anything comparable (I do have Acrobat 8.1, but it doesn't open these files), so I'm not sure what to do with my pretty collections other than gaze at them adoringly and then move on to the next photo. If anyone has any ideas about how I can open the files, and perhaps embed them here for our collective enjoyment, do tell!

I never thought I'd come across anything that would make me think (however briefly) about painting all the rooms in my house. I loathe house painting so, so much, and I generally believe that walls should be various shades of white or eggshell as a backdrop for other things. But this tool actually wakes up some heretofore unknown, latent interior design urge in me.


Oh, and then there's yarn. I'm just really trying not to think about new yarn while I play this game.

1 comment: