Monday, January 9, 2012

Annie Dog

Before the gray

Annie's muzzle has been going gray. She's nine now, and I looked at her this afternoon, as we sat at a coffee shop, and noticed that her paws are graying too--her two front paws, one of which is shaped like a lobster claw at the end of her short leg. Her funky paw, as we call it, with its "opposable thumb," is gray where it used to be a deep, reddish tan.

But her eyes are bright and clear, and she looks at me with the same eager smile as ever. And in the yard when we got home, she held a stick in her mouth and batted a tennis ball around with that funky paw, playing the game she invented for herself when she was just a puppy, and bubbling with doggie joy.

6 comments:

  1. Holy cow. Annie Dog is not allowed to be 9. That makes me old, too. Sigh. Hugs to the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. My sweet dog is 6 and was just spayed... her surgery recovery is evoking some raw emotions in me today. We are lucky to have such sweet pups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lucky to have Annie with her funky paw and great smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is a love and I am glad she got more press.

    A's M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Annie - what I love about animals is that they do what we should be doing - enjoying every moment they have on this earth. And smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dogs can be so inspiring that way. They never look in the mirror and think, "Shit, I look OLD!" No, they just see the stick and run like a pup.

    ReplyDelete